Monday, May 18, 2009

Black Gold Movie about coffee and Fair Trade in Ethiopia

So I while attending a coffee tasting by the Midwest Coffee Company I was pleasantly surprised to learn about where my coffee actually comes from and it inspired me to do some research to try and learn the effect of my purchasing decision on the lives of the people who actually farm my coffee. We here in Indiana are pretty supportive of farmers and well farming is just in our culture. The values and hard work ethics are something that most of us here in Indiana can identify with which is why it was very interesting to learn of the farmers in Ethiopia and their struggles and how my coffee purchasing decisions effect them.

My research lead me to a movie Black Gold. According to IMDB Black Gold was nominated for the British Independent film award and won and was nominated for the Sundance Film Festival as well.

British Independent Film Awards

2007
Won
British Independent Film Award
Best Achievement in Production

Nominated
British Independent Film Award
Best British Documentary

Douglas Hickox Award
Nick Francis
Mark Francis

Sundance Film Festival

2006
Nominated
Grand Jury Prize
World Cinema - Documentary
Marc Francis
Nick Francis



Now I did want to do some more research and try and verify some of the statements on this film and really try to get at the story behind this movie from different angles and maybe even get some perspectives from the producers themselves. On that note the forums at Black Black gold are full of good discussion. Here is a good one from the Starbucks section of their forum.

So if you are a Fair Trade or Organic entrepreneur in Indiana feel free to send me some information on your company and its effects on the Indiana economy to greenerdog@gmail.com It is my mission to bridge the gap between consumers and producers so that we as Hoosiers begin to develop a relationship with our food and those that grow it so we can make decisions that effect our environment for the better. Feel free to follow me on Twitter as well.

No comments: