Monday, June 29, 2009

My Father’s Day Potato Creek State Park Trip Report

I can’t remember a more pleasant Father’s Day then the one that I had at Potato Creek State Park, located just east of New Liberty Indiana. No stranger to Indiana State Parks I was still just not sure what to expect before I actually got to the park. You never know by photos if the park really looks that good, you never know by maps if the park is really as big as it looks, and you never all the good stories of the park are the typical experience that one would expect.

The beginning of my trip started off superbly by actually exceeding my expectations right off the bat. The long drive into and through the beautiful south west quadrant of the park was just awesome. After spending some time out here at the Indiana Dunes I have really come to appreciate how important and just cool it is to have multiple ecosystems. Little pockets of wetlands almost bog like dot the beginning landscape as a wealth of birds fly around and as I found out later deer roam about.

Also while approaching the campground area the 3rd most common creature present reared their wheels, mountain bikers. As quickly found out while driving through the campgrounds biking is one of the most common activities found in the park. Unfortunately i was not able to investigate the horse camps or horse trail riding, as I do not have any horses, but it is quite evident that horse back riding is also a popular past time.

So let’s see if I can keep this trip from being to long, in short I was super impressed with the camping accommodations (really nice lots with trees and shade).  They also had a fabulous nature center with plenty of activities for children and young adults alike.

The only regret that I had was that I was not able to spend another day there and go kayaking. They have a super friendly lake with canoes and kayaks to rent for very reasonable prices. However, I did get to spend most of the day at the beach witch was very nice and clean. I was able to build a nice sand sculpture and avoided a serious sunburn by sitting in the plentiful nearby shade trees that surround the beach area. 

Following are some of my pictures that I had the pleasure of taking while I was there. I could have easily spent a another day just walking around taking pictures:

As always feel free to follow on Facebook or Twitter to stay informed on my most recent Indiana travels and other Indiana Events.

Share this post :

1 comment:

Fresh Coffee said...

We hope to camp there this year. Went many years ago and haven't been able to get back. Thanks for reminding us that it is such a good park.